Monday, April 20, 2009

Mazda Protege - Cost of brake system parts and labour charges?

I got my Mazda Protege car inspected for a general health checkup and I have been given a big list of parts that need to be replaced and a bill of $1000. The parts needed to be replaced include: Brake Pad, Brake Shoe, Brake Rotor, Brake Drum, Collant etc.





I got my car inspected at Sears Autos. Can someone please suggest if it is a right idea to go ahead with this or shall I get my car inspected somewhere else.





Also is there any place where I can get spares at low prices and a place where the installation chagres would be low. Please provide pointers to lower down this cost

Mazda Protege - Cost of brake system parts and labour charges?
You are getting ripped off badly if this is only brakes.





Here is a list of parts from one of my suppliers ( NAPA Auto Parts ) and the retail prices of these parts:





***You did not list a year, so I used a 2002 model with a 1.4L engine on my parts look up.





NTS TS7670 Brake Pads - Front, $28.95


ALT D1011DP Brake Shoes - Rear, $53.60


NUP 86318 Brake Rotor Only - Front $60.79


NUP 98462 Brake Drum - Rear $23.95





Now figure on 2 Rotors and 2 drums, and I think a safe assumption can be made that we can add a rear hardware kit art $21.95 and let me go crazy and add two wheel cylinders at $21.89 each and lets call throw in $10 for brake fluid.





You come up with a retail cost of parts of $327.76 for parts





If you exclude wheel cylinders which I only added trying to make figure out the worst case here, you are only looking at 2 hours labor and 3 hours labor if you you figure in the wheel cylinders.





So it looks like they want over $300 per hour for labour :)





I would take your car somewhere else.





I am sure that you are going to find out that you are being ripped off very badly ... I seriously doubt that it needs all of those parts at one time.
Reply:I recommend not doing all the repairs at just one shop. Instead, get another price quote for just the front brakes at an http://www.pepboys.com for example, and have that done there. Then find a good local independent shop in your neighborhood to have the coolant flushed. http://www.iatn.com Finally, try your Mazda car dealer for any warranty work or a good oil change.



car audio

No comments:

Post a Comment