Monday, August 3, 2009

How to get rid of that Beginner's Barrier?

I find it hard to FEEL who or what I'm portraying. I can try acting like they would act, but I don't really FEEL it, you know? I feel like there's a barrier. Are there any exercises to help me get rid of this? I have an audition for a play coming up and I really want to get into the character of my monologue, and of the part I'm trying out for.





I can place myself in the parts' shoes, but can't feel like I am actually there, as them.

How to get rid of that Beginner's Barrier?
I have the same problem sometimes, and what I do is read the whole play and try to get some perspective on the character. Ask yourself some questions - why are they acting the way they do? what is their family life like? what do they eat for breakfast? (the last one sounds weird, but that's part of their personality too right?) Just random stuff.





Another thing to do is try to relate to the character - try to find similarities in their personality and your own, or try to relate their dilemma in the piece with something you've gone through yourself - no matter how obscurely relative they are, as long as they are similar. Hope this helps you, and good luck!
Reply:Learning to be an actor is a live time process. Every step is important in your growth. Don't try to figure it out. Just keep learning and developing your acting skills. Your passion is what drives you.



windows

No comments:

Post a Comment