Saturday, July 25, 2009

Can horses react badly when throwing a shoe?

Hi, I am a beginner rider and have just bought a 15yo Thoroughbred Schoolmaster. He loves people, is very friendly and seems amazingly gentle. All "horsy people" who have seen him agree he is perfect for a beginner.





I took him for a ride in our paddock today for the first time and after a few minutes I noticed he kept on nudging his left foreleg with his nose like something was bothering him. I decided to get off and take him back up to the stable as I thought that something was wrong, or that maybe I was doing something wrong. As we got closer he tried to kick out at me while we were walking. I took his reigns again and kept walking him, it was a fairly steep part of the hill and he objected, broke free and bolted off and kicked out. He then made his way straight back to the stable and stood quietly waiting.





That was when I noticed he had lost his front left shoe. Do you think that losing his shoe could have caused this seemingly out of character bad behaviour?

Can horses react badly when throwing a shoe?
Yes it can cause this behavior. It is uncomfortable when a shoe is loose. It can also cause pain. This horse may also be barn sour and took advantage of you (new owner) and of the situation. Horses aren't dumb and sometimes will try things to see what they can get away with. This time he saw he can get away from you and may try it again. If this continues get an experienced person to help you immediately. This behavior can seriously get you hurt.
Reply:Well, I never had a horse but I read a lot of books about them.I will say that he is new and he has a new owner and the horse is under pressure.



sweating

No comments:

Post a Comment